Sunday, August 11, 2013

Top Five Books To-Read

Ok, so here's something sad: I have 193 books on my Goodread's to-read shelf... 193! I don't even know how I managed to gain such a large reading list! And if you do not know what Goodreads is, it's a website where you can make different "shelves" or lists of books you've read, books you are reading, books you want to read, and write reviews. You can also interact with other book lovers through book clubs and commenting on reviews. It's a really great website if you're into reading because you can keep track of books you've read and get recommendations on what to read next!

But here's something even worse than having 193 books on a to-read shelf: I've been in a reading slump all summer! It seems like I either read a book in a day or it takes month to finish it, and this summer I've been on the same book for months. It's not a bad book, I've just had no motivation for reading lately. This is sad because I have way more time to read now than during the school year and I feel like I've wasted so much valuable reading time, but I still want to get back into reading despite my upcoming busy schedule. There's nothing better than curling up in my bed with a good book right before I go to sleep, so I'm going to do it more often. To kick start my reading, I decided to share with you a list of the top five books I really want to read (which was hard to narrow it down to five). So grab some tea or coffee and let's get started!

1.The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1)
"After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up."


Now this wouldn't be a book I would usually pick up, I'm not much of a young-adult-alien-reading kind of girl, but the reviews of this book are out of this world! Plus, it helps that I got a free copy from my sister who works at Penguin ;) Thanks Katie! So my advice to you would be not pass this book up just because you won't think it's your cup of tea, you might love it! I'm hoping I will!

2. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Eleanor & Park
"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under."

This is another book with stellar reviews! I mean, if John Green raves about it, it must be amazing! (FYI, if you haven't read The Fault in our Stars, immediately go read it! It'll change your life!) I'm a sucker for anything with romance and this book sounds cute and quirky. A must read for sure!

3. Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
Where'd You Go, Bernadette
"Bernadette Fox is notorious. To her Microsoft-guru husband, she's a fearlessly opinionated partner; to fellow private-school mothers in Seattle, she's a disgrace; to design mavens, she's a revolutionary architect, and to 15-year-old Bee, she is a best friend and, simply, Mom.

Then Bernadette disappears. It began when Bee aced her report card and claimed her promised reward: a family trip to Antarctica. But Bernadette's intensifying allergy to Seattle—and people in general—has made her so agoraphobic that a virtual assistant in India now runs her most basic errands. A trip to the end of the earth is problematic.

To find her mother, Bee compiles email messages, official documents, secret correspondence—creating a compulsively readable and touching novel about misplaced genius and a mother and daughter's role in an absurd world."

This book sounds so fun and witty, I can't wait to pick it up! I usually read young adult, but I like mixing it up with an adult novel every so often. And can I just say, I love the cover!

4. Every Day by David Levithan
Every Day
"Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.

There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day."


This passage made me think My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares,which is a book I loved. The concept is a bit different because in Brashare's book the characters live multiple lives, as in they die and are born again, but the couple always gets separated. In Levithan's novel the main character sounds like he wakes up in a different body every day but the love interest part reminded me of My Name is Memory. But I digress; it sounds like an interesting concept. David Levithan has a strong fan base and people rave about his writing, so I'm excited to read this.

5. The Diviners by Libba Bray
The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
"Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."

When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first."


I've been wanting to read this book for a while. The 1920s' really appeals to me and to mix it with some mystery and possibly a super natural element? Count me in!

So what has been on your to-read list? Comment below!

2 comments:

  1. You should read Ms America and the Offing on Oahu. it's a series of girlie mystery books. It's a fast and fun read. I've found some great books that are free to download on my Nook.

    ReplyDelete