Monday, January 20, 2014

Week of Goals: Healthy Lifestyle

This week I will be discussing one of my goals for this year every day and how I plan to make it happen. I know this "New Year's resolution" post is late, but I started this year with a nine day cold which as you could imagine, set my schedule back a bit. However, I feel that it is still a good time to think about goals since the semester is just about to start and some of my resolutions deal with school and in general school takes up a lot of time and makes it harder to focus on my goals. As you can tell from the title of this post my first goal is to just be overall more healthy. This includes both working out and the way I eat. I know this is something that everyone typically has as a New Year's resolution, but I hope that by setting specific goals for myself will help me change my health.


First of all, I want to be more active. I feel better when I work out and I just feel like my body works so much better when I exercise a few times a week, but often I just don't have the motivation or drive to do it. I think a part of this is I never found workouts I really enjoyed, but recently I stumbled upon a Youtube channel called Blogilates which was created by Cassey Ho, a fitness instructor. Her videos make working out so much fun and I think it is great particularly for a younger adults and teens, but can be for anyone! She has 5 minute workout videos which is perfect for someone who is busy, workout routines that are choreographed to pop hits, and she even has a Hunger Games workout video! How cool is that!? If you have trouble finding workout routines that you like, I definitely recommend her channel.

Yesterday I did her 5 Minute Ab Express, Sexy Legs for Cocktail Dresses, and Applause Arms and although today I am sore but I had so much fun doing the workouts and I can't wait to try out her other videos. The great thing is that since the videos are on Youtube they are FREE (who wants to have to buy multiple DVDs?) and you can choose different workouts every day if you wanted, like you can focus on arms one day and your booty the next! I also love her enthusiasm and passion for fitness and her excitement is really contagious!



Other ways I want to be active this year is to do yoga because I truly enjoy it. A lot of people think yoga is easy, but it really does require a lot of effort! I have a yoga DVD that is for beginners and the first time I did it I thought I was going to die! But after I did the workout routine a few times, I started to get better and really loved the way it made me feel. Yoga combines stretching with strength so I can finally work on my flexibility while toning my body and building muscle. It is also really relaxing, which is great for me because I tend to get stressed easily. I hope to try a yoga class so maybe that will happen this year! I also love taking long walks when the weather gets nicer so I hope to take at least a mile walk every day once spring comes and even take a few hikes! Overall, I would like to work out four times a week and I am really going to make it a priority!

I also want to make sure I am getting enough sleep so my immune system works the best it can because it always seems when I lose out on my beauty sleep I get some sort of sickness, or overall just feel terrible. I need my eight hours and since I am going to be getting up early I need to go to bed earlier, which has been getting surprisingly easier over the past couple years, it makes me feel old! I just have to make sure I get my work finished earlier in the day so I don't have to stay up super late doing my assignments, like my anorexia paper last semester that I didn't start until nine at night... oops!


I also need to focus on what I eat. I have intestinal and bladder issues so I have to be careful I am eating and drinking because it can make me sick. Generally, I want to try to stay away from sugary products (all sweeteners, not just raw sugar) and I never realized before how much sugar I was consuming every day! It seems like sugar is in everything! For example, granola bars are advertised as being healthy but they generally have 8 to 12 grams of sugar, whaaaaaat! And that's a lot considering that it is recommended to have a max of 24 grams of sugar a day for women. Obviously, naturally occurring sugars like in fruits aren't the same as add-in sugars, which is what I am more worried about because they do not have any health benefits. I also need to cut down on processed food and in general have a more balanced diet. This includes eating more veggies and cutting down on my beloved chocolate, which will definitely be a challenge. Junk food seems to be so much more convenient especially when I am busy with school, but it also makes me feel horrible when I eat a lot of it.

I'm going to start looking up healthy food ideas on recipe websites, blogs, and of course Pinterest! Funny thing, I was looking at my food board on Pinterest and it was literally almost all desserts! Ah! I need to pin some healthy foods to get myself motivated for better eating. I also want to start preparing healthy snacks at the beginning of the week so when I need something to eat I can just go in the fridge and already have some veggies cut up and ready for nomsing, (And yes, I just said nomsing). Having healthy snacks always ready makes it just as convenient as opening a bag of chips!

Last year I managed to cut out pop and coffee because they both started making me feel sick whenever I had them, plus pop is just really bad in general. This year I want to continue cutting out unhealthy foods and drinks so I can feel better overall (I'm looking at you Oreos!) I also I want to have better self control when it comes to foods and eating in moderation. For example, if I want something sweet I should eat a couple cookies, not ten! Just the other night I ate one cookie and then without even realizing it I had way more than I should have by a long shot. But I think it is always important to still treat yourself even when you are eating healthy, just keep everything in moderation.

So there's my healthy lifestyle goals for this year! What fitness and health goals do you guys have this year? Comment below! Tomorrow will be my goal post involving reducing and handling stress, so make sure to check back then!

No comments:

Post a Comment