Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Week of Goals: Reducing and Handling Stress

Stress is something that everyone deals with even on a daily basis, whether it's freaking out over a presentation or having a loved one that is sick, stress is just something everyone has to deal with. You can let stress beat you down and ruin your spirits, or you can take that stress and not let it control your life and learn how to manage it, or even reduce it in the first place! I've always been a person who has suffered from worrying too much and been overly stressed ALL the time. Last year, one of my New Year's resolutions was to work on handling my stress and not worry as much and I have come so far, but there is still room for improvement.

One of the ways I would like to work on my reducing my stress and worries is to write in a journal every day if possible. I find that sometimes I don't want to deal with my issues but if I keep them trapped in my head my stress levels just sky rocket but when I write things down I am able to think them through and even see solutions that I didn't see before. Also, just writing thoughts down on paper is therapeutic and it gives me time alone to reflect on my day. It's been shown that people who write about their life every day are healthier mentally than people who don't, so it's even scientifically proven! If you are someone who wants to start journaling but could never really get into it before I suggest you pick out a cute journal you love with a nice pen and make time to write whether it's when you wake up in the morning or before you go to sleep, just keep it consistent so you get into the routine of writing every day.

I also want to not worry about the little things, which I seem to always do. For example, nothing bad could be happening but I always think the worst will happen, and that's not a healthy way to think! In general, I just need to be more positive and it's not easy to do but I believe I can do it! It's almost like I need to train my brain to stay away from destructive thoughts, because they can start out small but spiral into something huge and awful.

For reducing stress, I think by just staying on top of my school work and not trying to do too much at once I can definitely keep my stress levels low. Now, it's easier said than done but even last semester I really improved on doing my homework earlier and I hope to do even better this year. I'm the type of person who will try to do everything that could possibly fit in my schedule and sometimes it's just too much and I need to realize this before I make so many commitments because I should jeopardize my mental health. I could be involved in every club and take lots of classes but I would just stress myself out and nothing I do would be great quality, so I need to do less but do it with everything I got.

So there's my thoughts about stress! How do you guys deal with stress? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment