Sunday, February 8, 2015

January 2015 Favorites

I'm happy January has come and gone since it's not a particularly exciting month. I ended up working a lot so my winter break wasn't as relaxing as I wanted it to be. I did start my last semester of undergrad though! It's crazy to think it's my last semester. I honestly still feel like a freshman sometimes. But alas, I will be graduating in May then moving out by the end of summer. I am so excited to start a new chapter in my life and I think this year will be great! Anyways, I'm here today to share with you my favorites from January and here they are!

My first favorite is the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge. I have been wanting the Beauty Blender, which many beauty gurus rave about, but I didn't want to spend 20 bucks on a makeup sponge, no matter how amazing it is. I did some research and read some great things about this sponge so I decided to give it a go, and I'm glad I did! I use this with my Revlon Colorstay foundation and it applies my foundation much more evenly and allows me to naturally build the coverage I want. I like to use the sponge wet, which I think how it's designed to use anyway. When it's wet it expands and does not soak up as much product as a dry sponge would. Using this sponge wet works so well with my Colorstay foundation because the foundation dries quickly, so the wetness of the sponge counteracts that and allows me to take my time putting the foundation and I don't have to worry about the foundation drying too quickly before I can properly blend it in. Using the sponge gives a more natural look than using a brush and is better at preventing cake face. I still use my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush with my Revlon Nearly Naked foundation though. The consistency of that foundation is more watery so I find that it just applies better with a brush. Overall, I would definitely recommend picking up this product! I'm planning on doing a demo showing how to use this product in an upcoming blog post so stay tuned!

I'm becoming more and more obsessed with lip products lately. I used to hate using lip products, which was because I was not trying the right ones. Now I can't live without them! This month I loved using the Maybelline matte lipstick in Lush for Blush, the Revlon Balm Stain in Honey, and a limited edition Maybelline lipstick in Strike a Rose. A swatch for Lust for Blush can be found here. It's a pinky-mauve color that's colorful while still being pretty neutral. The balm stain in Honey is a great product for on the go since it's not too pigmented but it gives my lips just the right amount of color. Strike a Rose is a darker neutral that I love to wear in the winter time, especially with bold eye looks.

Previously, I was using the Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer under my eyes but I heard so many raving reviews about the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer, I decided to try it. I like this even more than the Dream Lumi Touch concealer! It's a very creamy consistency but isn't cakey. It comes out a little oily, which made me worry since I have oily skin but after it dries it just looks dewey. Since it's very creamy it blends so well into the skin and it looks very natural. I have this concealer in the brightener shade, which is a peachy nude color that counteracts the tone of dark circles. This really covers my dark circles and brightens my under eye area, leaving me looking awake and ready for the day!

The cold winter months started to take a toll on my skin, so these products have helped me combat dry skin. I love Bath and Body Works body creams and moisturizing lotion for the day time and the body butter for night. Warm Vanilla Sugar smells like sugary baked goods and the Wild Madagascar Vanilla is sweet and musky. I also love using my Rose Salve at night because it acts as a great overnight treatment for my dry lips.

I love using these Swisspers cotton rounds for taking off my eye makeup and applying toner. They are super soft and are definitely great quality for the price!

I love this nail polish combination! The bright red color is China Glaze's Igniting Love and I put Maybelline's Gilded Rose over it. Talk about a standout manicure!

I've been practicing my braiding skills and I finally mastered the halo braid using the dutch braiding technique. It's taken me so long to do this hairstyle on myself but in January I finally did it! Woop!

In January I picked up this cowl neck top at Old Navy. It's so comfortable and warm since it's similar to a hoodie material, but is more stylish than the standard sweatshirt. I also bought this bright red hat at American Eagle for half off after Christmas. It's very warm and certainly brightens up my winter wardrobe!

I got this candle sleeve from Bath and Body Works and it's just stunning! It is so sparkly and looks great on my winter candles.

Nothing is more cozy than curling up in bed with a good book on a winter night while burning this Spiced Apply Toddy candle by Bath and Body Works (of course). It's wonderfully spicy mixed with a baked apple scent, which is everything I love!


 I love the snowflakes on the lid!

 I've been keeping my life organized with this to do list planner by ShePlans on Etsy. A more in-depth review of this planner is coming soon!

I picked up this little Polkadot plant from Tops and I love it! It brightens up my nightstand and who doesn't want a pink plant?

And do I need to say more about my favorite music pick? ;)

What have you been loving lately? Comment below!

4 comments:

  1. Does the Maybelline lipstick in Lust for Blush bleed at all on you? I wanted to try it out but I read that it bleeds quickly if you don't use lip liner on first. Is that true for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had no issue with it bleeding and I don't use a lip liner. It's very creamy for a matte lipstick but for me it doesn't budge at all. I would definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  2. I love Maybelline's Fit Me Matte and Poreless foundation. I've been using the regular Fit Me for awhile and love it. This new kind is even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading about the new formula and was thinking about trying it! Now I'll definitely try it out!

      Delete